If you are a new puppy parent, apparently, a lot of questions regarding flea treatment for your puppy might have crossed your mind. We have prepared detailed answers to all the questions popping up in your mind so that you can set up a happy and healthy life for your puppy.
Why is flea prevention for puppies important?
Fleas are an annoyance to dogs of all age groups and breeds. However, puppies are more vulnerable to fleas and ticks than adult dogs because of their smaller size. It takes less time for fleas to cause a flea infestation on a puppy than on an adult dog.
Moreover, scratching and skin damage can be extremely painful for your puppy, and in the worst conditions, fleas can also cause flea allergy dermatitis. If your puppy eats an infected flea while grooming, it can even suffer from tapeworms. Therefore, it is extremely essential to practice flea treatments for puppies.
Can I use all the flea treatments for dogs on puppies?
No, you cannot use flea treatments that are directed for adult dogs on puppies. The reason for this is that puppies’ smaller physiology can quickly lead to weakness, respiratory diseases, skin diseases, and anemia.
Also, since the majority of flea treatments available in the market are for adult dogs, the same treatments can be harsher on puppies. As most of these treatments are not recommended for puppies younger than 8 weeks old, you must be very careful while choosing a flea treatment for your pup.
Is it possible to treat puppies less than 8 weeks of age for fleas?
The majority of flea treatments for puppies can be started as early as 8 weeks of age, but some are only for older puppies. Most likely, you will bring your puppy home when it is between 8 and 12 weeks old – a reputable breeder won’t separate them from their mother before this.
The majority of flea treatments for puppies and dogs come in three sizes: small, medium, and large. However, you should always choose the correct treatment based on the weight of your pet. Also, puppies grow quickly and may move into a higher weight category before you realise it.
However, if you have a puppy younger than 8 weeks of age, it is advisable to remove the fleas physically with a flea comb or treat them with Frontline Spray, which is safe to use on puppies from when they are two days old.
Should I give my puppy flea treatment if I can’t see any fleas on them?
Yes, certainly. Fleas are small critters that can make your puppy’s life miserable, and their eggs are difficult to spot in the fur. Fleas can land on your puppy from literally anywhere, sometimes staying dormant in their cocoon until they find a host. In fact, a single flea can lay up to 50 eggs per day, which makes a flea infestation even more dangerous.
Flea and tick treatments kill fleas before they lay eggs, and hence preventing their multiplication. Since flea prevention is much easier than dealing with an infestation, it is smarter to keep your puppy on flea prevention treatments.
My puppy has fleas—what to do now?
A flea infestation isn’t easy to deal with, especially when they’ve established themselves in your home too. If fleas have been successful in invading your pup and house, here’s what you can do to eliminate them at the earliest:
- Use a flea treatment: An effective and fast acting treatment can eliminate flea infestations quickly. Some of the best flea treatments that you can use for your puppies are listed below.
1.Frontline Spray for Dogs–For puppies > 2 days old
2 Revolution for Puppies (pink) – For puppies >6 weeks old and <5lbs weight
3 NexGard Chewables– For puppies > 8 weeks old and > 4lbs weight
4 Bravecto Chewables– For puppies > 6 week
- Treat your home: As your puppy will move around in your house, the flea eggs are very likely to drop off everywhere. Furthermore, it is said that only 5% of fleas are actually on your puppy – the other 95% are in your home as flea eggs, larvae and pupae. To remove them from your home, you must vacuum your carpet and furniture on a regular basis; otherwise, a single remaining flea egg will be enough to start a new infestation.
- Wash your pet’s bedding and toys: To properly remove any remaining flea eggs, wash your puppy’s bedding and toys at 60°C as they are most likely to hide in these places that go unnoticed.
- Keep your puppy on preventive treatments year-round: Use the flea treatments mentioned above to prevent further flea infestations, even when the fleas are gone. You can also check out Budgetpetworld for more such flea treatments for puppies at the cheapest rates.
If you understand and use proper flea prevention treatment for your puppy from the beginning, you’re setting up a lifetime of flea-free living for your floof!