Invariably, dogs and puppies are the most adorable creatures in the world. If you are a pet-parent you can surely relate to the paramount love, care, affection and bonding you share with your pup. Adopting a puppy and raising him as your kid requires you to be punctilious to protect him from all the dangers that detriments his health. Among all the dangers, fleas & ticks are the prevailing form of hosts that makes room for many other diseases in your dog.
Whether in the backyard or near the house or countryside, fleas & ticks are ubiquitous creatures and are ever ready to infest the dogs. These annoying and dangerous fleas and ticks can expose pets to a wide range of zoonotic diseases and also cause intestinal worms. To protect your dog from flea and tick infestation there is an array of solutions, sprays, collars and plenty of pills to choose from. All you need to know is which one is best for your dog.
When we are talking about best, Nexgard Spectra is an ultimate solution. Let’s discuss more about it.
What Is Nexgard Spectra?
Before examining the overall reviews of Nexgard Spectra, it is incumbent for the pet-parents to first understand exactly what the product is. Nexgard Spectra for Dogs was created by Sanofi & Merial and now a part of Boehringer Inghelium-a global pharmaceutical company focused on improving animal health.
Nexgard is the multispectrum treatment that works to kill fleas & ticks and also effective in eradicating intestinal worms. Moreover, Nexgard Spectra is also an amazing Heartworm preventive.
Nexgard Spectra works on what Diseases?
Nexgard Spectra works as a one-stop-solution for pet-parents looking for multiple pests prevention. It covers both, internal and external parasites which is one of the major advantages for dogs. This is a chewable treatment that provides protection from fleas, ticks, brown dog ticks, bush ticks, heartworms, roundworms, hookworms, and whipworms. Nexgard Spectra product can be used as an overall treatment.
Formulation Of Nexgard Spectra
Nexgard is the oral product that contains compounds called:
- Afoxolaner: insecticide and acaricide to kill fleas & ticks
- Milbemycin Oxime: antiparasitic endectocide to eliminate internal parasites
Moreover, Nexgard Spectra comes in a beef flavored chewable form which is easy to administer to the dog. Dogs love beef flavor so they find Nexgard Spectra to be palatable. The chewable tablet kills maximum fleas within 24 hours of its administration.
What Are The Benefits?
- It protects dogs from both fleas & ticks
- Controls gastrointestinal infections in dogs
- Prevents heartworms and treats hookworms, roundworms and whipworms
- It is a chewable with palatable taste that is easy to administer and can be given to even the fussiest dogs
- Once in a month dosage, which is very convenient
- Broad-Spectrum & comprehensive protection for pups and dogs
- Can be used in puppies from 8 weeks of age
- Safe for all breeds of dogs
- Not affected by bathing or swimming
How Long Lasting & Effective It Is?
Nexgard Spectra is a monthly treatment that ensures effective treatment against fleas, ticks and intestinal worms. It controls flea infestation for up to 5 weeks and tick infestation up to 4 weeks.
What Are The Effective Measures To Follow While Giving It To Your Dog?
- The product can be easily administered to dogs with food allergies as it contains soy proteins and doesn’t have any animal protein. But, it must not be given to the dogs allergic to soy.
- Consult your vet before giving this tablet to pregnant, lactating or breeding dogs
- Keep them away from children and other pets
- Wash your hands after administration
- Keep tablets in the blister pack until required
- Keep the chewable in cool and dry place
- The treatment is strictly intended to be administered to dogs and not on any other animal species
- If your dog has any history of seizures, epilepsy or any other intense medical condition, consult your veterinarian before administrating the chewable to them
What Are Its Side Effects?
The most common side effects of administrating Nexgard Spectra to the dogs is vomiting, diarrhea, decreased appetite, lack of energy and itching. These side effects may occur in very rare case which are short-lived and can be resolved spontaneously.
Nexgard Spectra chews are available in different color-coded packs according to the weight of the dogs. Therefore, pet-parents should weigh their dog before starting the treatment.
By the end of this blog, the pet-parents will have a comprehensive understanding of this popular flea & tick preventive product. This will enable them to make the best decision for the health and safety of their furry buddy.